Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

I Will Never Need Mr. Darcy Confessions of Love

A little less than a year ago (339 days to be precise), I gave Austin his birthday gift: a leather journal. It was a small token of my appreciation of our friendship, and I knew he had been wanting a new book for notes, so I took the liberty of getting one for him. Inside, on each page, I had written references for some of my favorite verses. 



On my 18th birthday he gave me a birthday gift: 
the journal I had given him. 

However, it was altered. Inside, he wrote out the verse that I had referenced, and wrote letters & notes to me. Let's just say it was one of the most precious birthday gifts I had ever received. Being the girl I am, I stayed up into the wee hours of the night taking in every note till the very last was read. 
While I don't read it every night, and it usually just sits on my dresser, it's always there as a reminder that my husband loves me. 
And that he has loved me for quite some time, and that he had loved me before I even dared wish he would love me. 
I guess sometimes I need that reminder. I get so busy with the hustle and bustle of life, that I forget.  I forget the small acts of kindness. I forget the quick glances & looks that scream 'I love you!' I forget the small squeeze of the hand that says 'I care about you'. And I think that the vast majority of us just forget.

 I keep finding that when we forget the everyday love, and just look for the big and extravagant, hollywood love, the Mr. Darcy confessions, the grand romantic gestures, we become discontent. 
And so, when I can feel myself falling into the sea of discontentment,
I read.

I read the journal full of love letters given to me by my love, Austin.
There is a very specific entry that always stands out to me. 
It reads:

"When the storms come, and they will, know that I will be there to weather them with you. I love you, Rachel, and I pray that I will daily be able to show that to you. God has a plan. Live it with me?"

And you know what?

  I will never need Mr. Darcy Confessions of love,

I just need Austin.

In little ways, in his own ways, he expresses his love for me daily. Whether it be starting the water for my shower, taking out the trash, letting me cuddle up, or making the bed,
it's an act of love.

This is the kind of love that will last, this is the kind of love that will weather the storms, and it is this kind of love that will not wear out.
It's the daily life love.

I think that once we get over the hollywood love, we can fully love & recognize the love in our life! The simple love & the everyday love. It's all quite beautiful.
And then, we learn what love is all about.

"Today God revealed something to me in very explicit detail. That being my duty, calling, and responsibility in loving you. That is, to protect you, your heart, your passion, and your innocence, and to serve you, your needs, your dreams, and your calling."
-Austin

The fact that Austin took time to define what loving me entailed, in a letter to me that I would not read for several months, means the world to me. But not only did he define it, he sought after what God's definition of loving me would be.

And you know what? Austin has stayed true to his vow:  he has loved me as Christ loved the church, and how God would have him love me.
In a simple, sacrificing love.

He's a heck of a guy,
and I'm so very blessed to call him mine.

Happy 5 Months.

For now,
Rachel Papp







1 comment:

  1. Happy 5 month anniversary. God loves you so much that He gave you each other and filled you with His love for each other. Return to that often and prayers that you continue to be blessed in Him!! Love, Us :-)

    ReplyDelete