Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Challenge To You: A Response to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge


**I would like to preface this post by saying that I have nothing against those who have participated in the Ice Bucket Challenge. In fact, it’s been quite humorous to see the different ways people have chosen to do their challenges. So, to all my friends out there who are pouring water on their heads, thank you for making me laugh. This is just my personal opinion.


Recently, my Facebook and Instagram have been full of videos for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Across the country, people are accepting this challenge and while I have no problem with people having fun and participating in an online social media challenge, I do have a couple of issues with how this challenge works. Essentially, a friend tags you on social media, and you are given 24 hours to dump a bucket of ice/ice water on your head or else you must donate $100 to the ALS Association.  Some have tweaked it a little bit and ask that you donate $5-$10 to the ALS association along with dumping the bucket of water on your head. It’s an extremely creative way to raise money; however, I believe that there are few things that should be addressed.

First, is it just me, or does this whole challenge seem to run off of peer pressure? Dr. Lyn Day, a psychologist with Tanglewood Counseling put it quite simply, “If you don’t do the challenge, if you don’t do the ice bucket dump, then somehow you’re not a good person. I don’t think that anybody intends to send that message but I think that’s the message we receive which is a bit unfortunate.” I think that most of us are secretly praying that we don’t get nominated simply because let’s be honest, who wants to be the guppy swimming against the flow?


Somehow, the thing all of our parents warned us about, peer pressure, is being welcomed with open arms across the internet. It’s being celebrated in the form of a challenge. Today, I was listening to 95.5 the Fish’s morning show, and the host said that he was going to do his challenge today, and he named the three people he was nominating. The co-host asked if he thought that they would do it and he responded, “They have to!” Then continued to talk about how there was no way around it. How is it that because someone challenged you to do something, that you have to do it? The fact is you don’t.


My second issue is that if you don’t do the challenge, you have to donate $100 dollars to the ALS association. I do believe and understand that ALS is highly underfunded in research. I also believe that it's a terrible disease. However, while I see the need for increased awareness and research for ALS,  I do not believe that it is right to be coerced into donating to any charity, association, or organization. As much as we don’t like the government telling us how we should handle our private affairs, I personally do not care to have my friends dictate to me how much and where I should give.


 I have no problem with giving, in fact, in Deuteronomy 16:17 we are told to give. It says, "Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee.” I believe we are called to bless others, and to do so as regularly as we are able. So this is my challenge to all of you, a challenge given by God in Deuteronomy:  Give. Give because God has blessed you. Give to fund research that will empower the minds that God has given us. Give to a charity that helps young women . Buy the coffee for the car behind you. Give where God has called you to give, and when He puts it on your heart to give. Don’t give because of peer pressure. Don’t give a defined amount of money because you were told you have to. If you feel called to give to the ALS Association, then by all means, donate! However,certainly don’t give to a foundation if you do not feel it on your heart to give there.
Let God guide you. 

Let Him make the difference where He sees fit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment